Ultem® Plastic Injection Molding Services
Ultem® is an amorphous thermoplastic polyetherimide (PEI) resin with excellent strength and high temperature resistance properties. The material’s long-term heat resistance makes Ultem® injection molding manufacturing ideal for medical devices that must withstand autoclave sanitation or products made for submersion in boiling water.
Ultem® exhibits several exceptional properties, including:
- Heat resistance and performance up to 340˚F
- 94-V-0 flammability rating
- Low smoke output
- High chemical and acid resistance
- High dielectric strength
- Good arc resistance
- Environmental stress and cracking resistance
Ultem® Injection Molding Manufacturing Services
HiTech Plastics & Molds offers Ultem® injection molding for projects of all sizes and quantities. Our team is focused on quality, excellent workmanship, and customer satisfaction. With in-house design and engineering capabilities and secondary machining services, we can handle your project from start to finish.
- Custom Ultem® Plastic Injection Molding: Our engineers take your design from conception to production. We have the expertise to handle complex and close tolerance molding requests and can handle a wide range of part geometries.
- 2-Shot Ultem® Resin Injection Molding Services: We can combine Ultem® resin with a second thermoplastic material to create a single finished product. 2-shot molding is a complex injection molding process that creates a molecular bond that prevents the two resins from separating.
- Ultem® Plastic Overmolding Services: This thermoplastic injection molding process is used to add textured grips and other features to metal and hard plastics.
- Custom Injection Mold Building: Our engineering team uses computer-aided design (CAD) technology to create custom molds to your specifications. Rapid prototyping helps us ensure that the final design produces products that meet or exceed your expectations.
- EMI & RFI Shielding
- Ultem® In-Mold Decorating & In-Mold Labeling
- Ultem® Plastic Part Assemblies & Sub-Assemblies
- Tool Building
Choosing Between PEEK and Ultem®/PEI Injection Molding Resins
Both PEEK and Ultem®/PEI engineering thermoplastics exhibit high strength, chemical resistance, and other properties that make them suitable for high-performance applications. As specialized plastics, you rarely see either used in standard thermoplastic injection molded parts.
Both materials resist steam and autoclave cycles, but Ultem® plastic has a higher glass transition temperature (Tg) than PEEK due to its morphological structure. Ultem® has a lower max continuous operating temperature but adding glass fiber or other material reinforcement to the resin can significantly improve temperature resistance.
Both materials exhibit excellent electrical properties, but Ultem® plastic has higher dielectric strength (up to 830 V/mil versus 480 V/mil), depending on the grade. Deciding between PEEK and Ultem® thermoplastic injection molding can be difficult, but our experts are here to help you find the perfect resin for your molding project.
Ultem® Injection Molding Resin Material Options
Ultem® resin has great processability and comes in over 100 grades, each with varying properties. We understand that each application is unique and offer a broad range of Ultem® grades under the following categories:
- Unfilled Ultem® Resins: These resins are FDA-approved and resist UV and Gamma radiation. Untilled Ultem® plastic also has excellent resistance to hot air and water environments, including boiling water and steam autoclave cycles.
- Reinforced Ultem® Resins: The addition of glass fiber, PTFE, and other materials improves dimensional stability, tensile strength, and rigidity. Filled resins have excellent strength-to-weight ratios and long-term heat resistance.
Contact Us to Discuss Ultem® Injection Molding Service Options
HiTech Plastics & Molds is committed to quality and customer satisfaction. We have the expertise to problem-solve design challenges and help you find the best solution for your project. Contact us to learn more about our Ultem® injection molding manufacturing capabilities.